Lodeynopolsky district is located in the north-eastern part of Leningrad region between two rivers, the Svir and the Oyat. It borders the Republic of Karelia (Olonetsky district) in the north, Podporozhsky district of Leningrad region in the north-east, Tikhvinsky district in the south and Volkhovsky district in the south-west. The territory of the district is washed by Lake Ladoga in the west.
Distance to Saint Petersburg: 240 km
Administrative centre: Lodeynoe Pole
Area: 4,910.9 square km
Population: 28,032 people (urban population – 70.7%, rural population – 29.3%)
Infrastructure: the basis of the road network is formed by federal road M 18 Saint Petersburg – Petrozavodsk – Murmansk, regional roads P 36 Lodeynoe Pole – Tikhvin – Budogoshch and P 37 Lodeynoe Pole – Oshta. The river Svir, which is a part of Volga-Baltic Waterway, is navigable.
There is a part of the electrified railroad Saint Petersburg – Mga – Volkhovstroy – Lodeynoe Pole – Podporozhye – Petrozavodsk – Murmansk and adjoining railway line Lodeynoe Pole – Olonets – Sortavala – Priozersk – Saint Petersburg (that makes a ring across Lake Ladoga) passing the territory of Lodeynopolsky district.
Total length of the general purpose railway lines within the limits of the district is about 2.4 thousand km.
Economy: the basis of the industry of Lodeynopolsky district is industry which constitutes a significant part of the turnover of the local organizations and is the main source of filling the local budget. The share of industrial production in the total volume of shipped goods of own production, performed works and services is 43.1%.
- CSP-Svir – production of plywood, wood boards and panels
- Branch office of Vladimir – production of wooden building structures
- Lodeynopolskaya Teploset – distribution of gaseous fuel
- Lodeynopolsky Mast Impregnation Plant – production of wood poles
- Podporozhsky Asphalt Plant – production of goods made of asphalt or similar materials
- Kvarta – production of sanitary ware
- NN – production of warp knitted outerwear