Leningrad region in agglomeration with Saint Petersburg is the second largest consumer market in Russia and one of the largest markets in Europe. Total population of Leningrad region and Saint Petersburg is about 7.6 million people or 5% of population in Russia.
Population, million people
Moscow and Moscow region
Saint Petersburg and Leningrad region
Republic of Bashkortostan
Republic of Tatarstan
Leningrad region in agglomeration with Saint Petersburg is a market with a high level of purchasing power of the population. In 2022 the average salary in Saint Petersburg was is 117 550 rubles, in Leningrad region – 75 691 rubles (which is 47% more than in 2021).
Leningrad region in agglomeration with Saint Petersburg is a market characterised by:
- High consumer demand. Retail turnover of Leningrad region and Saint Petersburg amounted to 2561 billion rubles in 2022, which is 8.8% less than in 2021. Retail turnover of Leningrad region in 2022 amounted to 610 billion rubles, which is 15.5% lower than in 2021.
- Efficient transport and logistics system for consumer market maintenance.
- Diversity of consumer market – availability of a huge amount of large target audiences and consumer niches.
- Postindustrial type of consumption – high demand for hi-tech and innovative production, information technologies, etc.
- High demand in the service sector, entertainment, recreation and tourism.