Leningrad region in agglomeration with Saint Petersburg is the second largest consumer market in Russia and one of the largest markets in Europe. Total population of Leningrad region and Saint Petersburg is about 7.3 million people or 5% of population in Russia.
Population, million people
Moscow and Moscow region
Saint Petersburg and Leningrad region
Republic of Bashkortostan
Republic of Tatarstan
Leningrad region in agglomeration with Saint Petersburg is a market with a high level of purchasing power of the population. In 2021 the average salary in Saint Petersburg was is 68 383 rubles, in Leningrad region – 51 339 rubles (which is 8.4% more than in 2020).
Leningrad region in agglomeration with Saint Petersburg is a market characterised by:
- High consumer demand. Retail turnover of Leningrad region and Saint Petersburg amounted to 2,444.5 billion rubles in 2021, which is 22.5% more than in 2020. Retail turnover of Leningrad region in 2020 amounted to 480.6 billion rubles, which is 6.5% higher than in 2020.
- Efficient transport and logistics system for consumer market maintenance.
- Diversity of consumer market – availability of a huge amount of large target audiences and consumer niches.
- Postindustrial type of consumption – high demand for hi-tech and innovative production, information technologies, etc.
- High demand in the service sector, entertainment, recreation and tourism.